Thursday, March 31, 2011

I Found a Commission "Where Two Paths Join"

Here is the montage I used to propose "first
thoughts" about the project to Marlene.
Earlier in my career I frequently drew illustrations, but recently my friend Marlene Sullivan offered a new challenge: basing a paper sculpture on a poem.

Her husband Doug had written a poem for their wedding, which she loved for its imagery and beauty.  Their anniversary was approaching, and she wondered if I could use paper sculpture techniques to compliment the poem.

This was part of a "progress report"
I sent while working on the piece.
We discussed it a bit.  She sent me a copy of Doug's poem, and we eventually worked out a composition idea that would "frame" the poem, incorporating the words into the artwork.

As you know if you read my post, "The Evolution of a Paper Sculpture," it can take months or even years for me to bring all the pieces together--literally.

Marlene was wise enough to know this, and ask about the idea several months in advance.  I began to work, gradually building the piece around the poem.  Doug has been gracious enough to let me share images that include the poem.

I am happy to report that I was able to finish the piece and ship it to the Sullivans in time for their anniversary.  Here's a photo of the finished artwork, which I titled "Where Two Paths Join."  I took this picture just before I boxed it up for shipping!  (That's why you can see a faint reflection of me in the glass).
Here is the finished artwork, Where Two Paths Join.

No comments:

Post a Comment